Events - Event View
This is the "Event Detail" view, showing all available information for this event.
If the event has passed, click the "Event Report" button to read a report and view photos that were uploaded.
Turn & Learn 3 - Green Wood Bowl Turning, 6-9 Pm
Monday, January 7, 2019
OVWG Learning Center at
Kennedy Heights Art Center
6620 Montgomery Road
Kennedy Heights, OH 45213
(Click the down-arrow to the left of the activity/item to view the details)
Turn & Learn - Green Wood Bowl Turning, 6-9 Pm
Wait List For Green Bowl Turning
- Topic: Introduction to green wood bowl turning. Discussion on harvesting and preparing stock. Outline options for mounting bowl blanks, then learn to properly mount the blank (between centers then with a chuck) to the lathe. Discuss considerations on shape and form, and then rough turn a bowl. We will rough turn 1-3 wet bowl blanks and prepare them for drying, outlining methods for successful drying. Also cover sharpening bowl gouges and scrapers. Tools used will include bowl gouges, spindle gouge, scrapers, chucks & “Wolverine” sharpening system.
- Skill Level: Beginner
- Project: Roughed out green bowls, four per student.
- Materials: 6-9” diameter green bowl blanks
- Cost: $25, includes $5 material fee.
- Pre-requisite: Introduction to Woodturning and the OVWG LC or a prior T&L series of classes. Also read and be familiar with the AAW Lathe Safety Guidelines and the Glossary of Woodturning Terms, available on the OVWG website in the document library or by clicking the following links: AAW Lathe Safety Guidelines and Woodturning Glossary