Events - Event View
This is the "Event Detail" view, showing all available information for this event.
If the event has passed, click the "Event Report" button to read a report and view photos that were uploaded.
Comprehension and Technique: Spindle Roughing Gouge: 1 PM to 5 PM -- CANCELED
Saturday, December 10, 2022, 9:00 AM until 1:00 PM
OVWG Learning Center at
Kennedy Heights Art Center
6620 Montgomery Road
Kennedy Heights, OH 45213
Registration is not Required
- Topic: The spindle roughing gouge might be the most user-friendly woodturning tool, thus very suitable to expanding skill and an understanding of woodturning principles and techniques. The emphasis will be on tool control as we build skills to: begin a cut without stress; true a blank; “pick up a shaving;” make tapers, concave curves, convex curves, and intermittent cuts; “peel” a tenon; counter flex in thin spindle blanks; and make square cross sections round. Also explored will be overhand and underhand grips, “raising the handle,” “riding/gliding/floating the bevel,” multiple ways to mount spindles, supported and unsupported cuts, ghost images, and more.
- Tools: spindle roughing gouge, 4 prong drive center, Stebcenter drive center.
- Skill Level: Novice and beyond
- Project: This is not a project-specific class. These are core skills to enhance all of your projects.
- Pre-requisite: Introduction to Woodturning and the OVWG LC or a prior T&L series of classes. Also read and be familiar with the AAW Lathe Safety Guidelines and the Glossary of Woodturning Terms, available on the OVWG website in the document library or by clicking the following links: AAW Lathe Safety Guidelines and Woodturning Glossary”